Guide Star Gold Star Seal

Position Statement:

The Arc of Tri-Cities follows The Arc national position statement on Guardianship

  • "The majority of people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities can manage their own affairs with informal assistance and guidance from family, friends, and others. When necessary, people should be aware of and have access to preferred alternatives."


Due to changing Washington State Laws - that are putting undue hardships on families with developmental disabilities we encourage using "Power of Attorney" forms that do not require a lawyer to offer assistance to adult children with developmental disabilities. See Forms below for more information. 

Information on Power of Attorney

Guardianship - What happens if you Move?

Washington State - Durable Power of Attorney (PDF)

Washington State - Durable Power of Attorney (Spanish) (PDF)

Washington State - Health Power of Attorney (PDF)

My Voice Counts: Supported Decision Making, An Alternative to Guardianship

How To Do Guardianship Yourself

If you would like to pursue Guardianship, The Arc of Tri-Cities offers a yearly class on "How To Do Guardianship Yourself".  Traditionally it is done in the Fall. Contact Donna Tracy at to find out when the next scheduled class is. 

All Forms for Guardianship can be found in Benton County Website and the Benton & Franklin Counties Superior Court Website

Recommended Guardianship Attorneys

The following Attorneys have been highly recommended to us by families of The Arc of Tri-Cities 

Tom Heye, from the law firm of Walker Heye Meehan & Eisinger, PLLC, has extensive experience in guardianship litigation on behalf of those petitioning for guardianship as well as those objecting to a guardianship or appointment of a particular guardian. Our families continue to let us know how satisfied they are with the quality of the services and fair price provided by Mr. Heye.

   Attorney TomHeyeupdated

Tom Heye
Walker Heye Meehan & Eisinger, PLLC

1333 Columbia Park Trail, Suite 220
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 735-4444 (Phone)
(509) 735-7140 (Fax)

Guardianship in Washington State FAQ

What Is Guardianship?

Guardianship is a legal relationship where the court gives one person (the guardian) the power to make personal and / or financial decisions for another (the incapacitated person or ward). A guardian may be appointed when the court determines that a person is a vulnerable person based on a pattern of conduct of not being unable to care for herself and / or her estate and is at risk of harm to her person and /or her estate.  In Washington there is considerable flexibility in appointing a full or partial guardian.

How Can I Become A Guardian?

A petition must be filed with the court requesting the appointment of a guardian. Then, the court appoints a guardian ad litem to conduct an investigation.  The ward is served with notice of the petition.  Notice and a copy of the petition are mailed to family members and care givers.  After the guardian ad litem conducts her investigation, she prepares a report and circulates it to interested persons.  Finally a hearing is held where a judge considers objections or concerns, decides whether a guardian should be appointed, who should be appointed, how much authority the guardian should have and whether a bond must be posted.  This process usually takes 4-8 week

How Long Does This Appointment Last?

A guardianship appointment may last until the death of the ward or the guardian, until the ward is able to establish that she has capacity or until it is no longer necessary.

What Authority Does The Guardian Have?

Unless limited by the court, the guardian has almost total control over the finances and the personal decisions of the ward. This includes deciding who will provide care for the ward, determining how the ward's funds will be spent, and making routine medical decisions for the ward. Unless the ward objects, the guardian makes decisions on where the ward will live.  For some decisions, such as those involving extraordinary medical care, the administration of anti-psychotic drugs, or the sale of the ward's real estate, the guardian must seek the court's advance approval.

What Does Guardianship Cost?

Fees, by law, for these matters must be reasonable based on the amount of time it takes to provide the services.  It is hard to give general estimates for services that can vary greatly depending on the circumstances.  Before considering guardianship we will explore other options that may be available.  If guardianship is necessary, initiating a guardianship usually  requires a nonrefundable retainer of $1,500, filing fee of $150 and guardian ad litem fee

Who Pays For Guardianship?

Usually the estate of the ward pays the expenses of a guardianship.  However, when a new guardianship petition is filed, the petitioner generally must advance costs and estimated attorney fees.  Once the court determines a guardian is necessary the court will also determine who should pay the costs of establishing the guardianship and may enter an award allowing fees to be paid or reimbursed from the ward's assets.  In some cases the county will pay the filing fees, guardian ad litem fees and attorney fees if the assets of the ward are less than $3,0

What Are The Responsibilities Of The Guardian?

The guardian must account carefully for all of the ward's income and any expenditures made on his or her behalf.  The guardian must make decisions in the best interest of the ward.  The guardian first files an inventory listing the ward's assets and a personal care plan.  Then each year [or three years in some cases] the guardian must file a report with the court detailing how income and expenses were used and updating the court on the ward's personal care plan. A final account must be filed when the guardianship is terminat

Who Pays For The Annual Reports?

If the guardian chooses to have an attorney prepare the report, the cost will range between $350 and $1,500 depending on the completeness of the guardian's record keeping, the issues that arose during the reporting period and the amount of detail required due to the ward's resources and situation.  If the guardian prepares the report and files it with the court on her own, there is usually no cos

Guardianship Reporting Requirements

Reporting Requirements for Guardianship (PDF)

PowerPoint from Guardianship Workshop (Reporting Requirements for Legal Guardians) on 1/10/19 by Julie Higuera, Superior Court, Guardianship Monitoring Program, Benton & Franklin Counties, (509) 736-3017 Ext. 3563,