Provides emotional support and information to families of children with special needs and/or disabilities.
LEARNING THAT YOUR CHILD HAS A DISABILITY can be a traumatic experience. Parents have many questions and concerns in coping with their child's needs and their own feelings. Personal support from another parent, who has a child with a similar needs, can be helpful in coping with these challenging experiences and feelings. Trained Helping Parents (volunteer mentors) are available to provide support and information.
Matching parents in one-to-one relationships with trained, experienced parents, based on similar diagnoses and family issues.
Providing personal support, which is different than the support professionals can provide. Information and education about disabilities and referral to services in the community.
Parent to Parent has a partnership with Pasco, Kennewick and Richland School Districts to keep parents informed of services, events, support and help navigating the system of support for individuals wtih developmental disabilities.
- Social and recreational family events like the annual BBQ, Easter Egg Hunt and more!
- Help finding resources and information for the entire age span, including applying for state and federal services like DDA and SSI, help finding and funding services, safety information and more!
- Training for parents who want to become Helping Parent volunteers
- Educational workshops and presentations
- Monthly E-Alert (E-Newsletter)
- Monthly Coffee Chats with other Parents of Special Needs Children
- Monthly Spanish Parent Group
- Quarterly Resource Help Meetings to help find, understand, access and figure out funding for our local resources. (Also available in Spanish, by appointment)
- Quarterly Proloquo2Go Help Meetings, for help with the iOS communicating app
- Better Together, an Autism Social Learning Club/Parent Group, including a website with resources and Step by Step Guide to services, closed Facebook group for families and much more!
Parent to Parent hours are Mondays and Wednesdays, 11am-2pm.
Please call for an appointment. Call or e-mail with questions.
Melissa Brooks, RN, Parent to Parent Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maria Ramos, Hispanic Outreach Parent to Parent Coordinator, email@example.com
(509) 783-1131, ext. 108 or for Spanish speaking, call (509) 619-2711
Power Point Presentation ACLU October 3, 2016-School Discipline