Donate Now

Assistive Technology- A New Way to Help!

apple_logochildren-ipadipad_kidsusing_ATipad mom and kidproloquo2goTouchChat

Assistive Technology? 

Assitive technology items can help you complete tasks without the help of another person or to be more independent with daily tasks. 


The Arc of Tri-Cities is currently contracted with the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) to provide Supplies and Equipment to eligible individuals. 

If you are on a Community First Choice Waiver you have access for State Support in funding for Assistive Technology (AT) Devices and apps that increase the individual's independence. 

There is a limit of $500 annually- Talk to your case manager if your needs exceed the annual allotment. 

If you're unsure if you qualify, contact your case resource manager at DDA and ask about this service. 

How Do I Know What to Purchase? 

There are many resources on where and how to Find technology that will help you. 

Informing Families Building Trust has tips, resources, and information to help with your questions on Assistive Technology. 

Click Here For Tips, Resources, or Info


The Arc of Tri-Cities has a processing fee of $35. Taxes and shipping can be paid by DSHS, but all costs, fees, and additional charges must remain at $500 and under. 

General instructions on how to purchase an iPad or other tablet through Community First Choice- 

1. Contact your case manager and let them know what you plan on purchasing.  There is a limit of $500 annually-Talk to your case manager if your need exceeds the annual allotment.  (It may be necessary to obtain a justification from a speech/language pathologist or other medical professional justifying how a tablet will benefit the individual and help the individual become more independent in daily living.  Ask your case manager if this is necessary.)

2. Fill out the form online Click Here For Form 

For those without computer access here is a printable PDF form Click Here

3. Contact Melissa Brooks at The Arc of Tri-Cities, if you have questions. 

Call her at 509-783-1131, ext. 108 or email her at

Recommendations From a Professional? 

To get Assistive Technology, you should contact your physician and ask for a referral for an evaluation by a speech, occupational, or physical therapist. The therapist will recommend the right technology and help you learn how to use it once you get it. Assistive Technology is purchased using your annual allotment. 

Speech Therapists and Occupational Therapists can be a valuable asset in knowing what technology might help you the most. 

Our Partner Speech Therapist is: 

Ryan Edwards. MA, CCC-SLP 

Achieve Center Pediatric Therapy 



Ask your case manager if a letter or form is required from a speech therapist.  The easiest thing to do is ask the speech therpaist to write a short letter with the client's name and birthdate and how the ipad would hlep them.  The other option is this form that they can fill out, but a letter is easier for many and all that is required much of the time.  Attached below is an (optional) Evaluation Form for for a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) to complete.

Speech Therapist Evaluation Form


Contact Melissa Brooks, RN, at The Arc of Tri-Cities, if you have any questions or would like to know more information about Assistive Techology. 

Number: 509-783-1131 ext. 108 



New to Proloquo2Go, the iOS communicating app, click here for help

For additional help and support, attend the Quarterly Proloquo2Go Help Meetings, held at The Arc of Tri-Cities.  Next one will be on January 9, 2017, from 11-12:30pm.  RSVP to Melissa Brooks.